The classic map and compass navigation guide-revised for the age of GPS.
Basic map and compass skills are essential for anyone who spends time outdoors and this popular, easy-to-use orienteering handbook has been helping people find their way for more than fifty years. This edition has been updated to include information on GPS as well as current Web sites, references, sources, and photographs, and remains the book of choice for professional outdoorsmen, novice orienteers, and outdoor organizations as well as teachers, scout leaders, recreational hikers, hunters, and others around the world.
Topics covered include:
- understanding map symbols;
- traveling by map alone, by compass alone, or by map and compass together;
- finding bearings;
- sketching maps;
- traveling in the wilderness.
Author: Björn Kjellström
Revised and updated 2010 edition
- The Art (and Science) of Orienteering
- Discovery: Fun with Maps Alone
- Exploration: Fun with the Compass
- Adventure: Fun with Map and Compass
- Challenge: Competitive Orienteering